Lately I’m really into shirts with exciting patterns on them. I mean, I like patterns on other things outside of my body, but I’ve always been more of a solid/stripe/plaid kind of guy, shirt-wise.
No more. Gimme a good pattern and I will wear it and feel happy about wearing it.
Here’s the thing with patterned shirts on the gentlemen: you don’t want to be described as, “you know, that guy who always wears the crazy shirts.” At least I don’t. I don’t want to be a “loud” dresser, because people who dress “loudly” tend to be super annoying and I don’t want to be super annoying, or give people good reason to think I will be based on how I’m dressing.
So you have to find the good patterns so you don’t look like an irritating clown. How do you do that? I think like this. First, you limit the colors. A crazy pattern with only a couple of colors will look less nuts than a more simple pattern with a bunch of colors. Second, I like to steer toward abstracts and away from things that are literal/legible, like little floating anchors or even florals. I own a few good florals but they’re tough to get right and can go silly/kitschy/cutesy real fast. Third, I like to pair a good pattern with normal stuff like a simple pair of classic jeans—you don’t want multiple elements of your outfit calling out for attention because then you will look crazy.
Look at me, writing with fake authority on fashion. HA. So, boys. Point is, according to me, you can totally rock a shirt that’s a little weird without looking nuts. I do it all the time and nobody has ever explicitly told me I look nuts so I assume we’re all good. Here’s a little round-up of some shirts I’m into right now to carry me through the rest of summer and into fall:
1. Navy Print Short Sleeve Smart Shirt, Topman, $30
2. Slim-Fit Cloud Print Shirt, Club Monaco, $89.50
3. Blue Aztec Print Short Sleeve Casual Shirt, Topman, $50
4. Navy Paint Print Short Sleeve Smart Shirt, Topman, $50
1. Selected Homme Blue Geo Long Sleeve Shirt, Topman, $85
2. Selected Homme Black Slim Fit Shirt, Topman, $20
3. Classic Fit Ditsy Dot Shirt, Club Monaco, $27.30 with code THESALEONSALE
4. Short-Sleeved Cotton Shirt, H&M, $14.99
1. Slim-Fit Indigo Cross Shirt, Club Monaco, $48.30 with code THESALEONSALE
2. Weekday Shirt Happy Times Grandad Collar Sumi Print, ASOS, $73
3. ASOS Shirt in Short Sleeve with Paint Print, ASOS, $40
4. Navy Confetti Drapey Short Sleeve Smart Shirt, Topman, $50